If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds, click here to go to Tortilla Sandwich.
Tortilla Sandwich
Tortilla Sandwich
What is it? A mixture of the Mexican and American heritage which once fused together creates the culture I grew up with. A culture where I watched every India Maria movie, my hero was El Chapulin Colorado, I had atole for breakfast, yet at the same time I never missed an episode of Saturday Night Live, my favorite meal was mom's meatloaf and I dreamed of being in the Ramones.


Contact Me
tortillasandwich@gmail.com

Feeds
Atom
May 17, 2005
Crowd control

Well finals are over, and now it's back to work.

I am looking over the class schedule for next fall, and I am still undecided on what classes to take. I really want to finish up with my degree already, it seems to be taking FOREVER to finish. The thing is I have to keep working in order to pay for tuition. I tried applying for scholarships and grants, no dice. My grades are good but it seems most scholarships are given to full time students. And if I keep working to pay tuition then I can't attend school full time, thus delaying my graduation date. Conundrum.

In other boring news, we went to Houston this weekend. During our visit I had the chance to go to the Galleria. Talk about a sensory overload. I had not been there in years, and I think I remember why. The crowds.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Houston Galleria-
Photo courtesy of Texas Explorer.net



The place, as usual, was bustling with activity. Not only was there the usual shopping frenzy going on, but it seems it was prom season in Houston, so several kids were walking around all dressed up in their formal wear. I think there was also a prom being held in one of the banquet rooms at the Galleria. It was a sight to see, the girls all excitedly shopping in the stores, wearing their best formal wear, while their dates, dressed up in their shiny tuxes, waited at the entrance of the stores. When I say stores, name a store, any store, they were there, the guys looking depressed, with a look of boredom and "when will she finish shopping already" in their eyes.

So the place was pretty busy, but I was not into the shopping experience that day. Don't get me wrong, I really do enjoy shopping. There is nothing like the feeling you get when you walk into a store filled with catchy music, vibrant colors and smells of new clothes, books, and ah yes, shoes! However, for some reason when I am in large crowds, I tend to feel very uncomfortable. The feeling is worse some days and better on others. I get anxious, I feel as if everyone is watching me, judging me, mocking me, laughing at me. I've been like that ever since I can remember. As a kid I dreaded and feared going to the grocery store or shopping with my mom. Sometimes I was able to overcome the fear, other days I waited in the car for my mom, leafing through a Higlights magazine while I waited. Pretty stupid I know.

So needless to say I didn't really enjoy the trip to the Galleria. I was feeling awkard that day- too awkard to shop, and that is a feat in itself. I bought a few things at Urban Outfitters, and then I bought a laminated map of Texas at the Rand McNally store because you never know when you might need a map of Texas, and when you do, it's best if it's laminated.

Maybe I need to take Zoloft.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


CJ at 5/17/2005

Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at: 4:40 PM  

Is Stone Soup still around? I used to read that one.


Post a Comment


Back to Tortilla Sandwich


1 comments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger