If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds, click here to go to Tortilla Sandwich.
Tortilla Sandwich
Tortilla Sandwich
What is it? A mixture of the Mexican and American heritage which once fused together creates the culture I grew up with. A culture where I watched every India Maria movie, my hero was El Chapulin Colorado, I had atole for breakfast, yet at the same time I never missed an episode of Saturday Night Live, my favorite meal was mom's meatloaf and I dreamed of being in the Ramones.


Contact Me
tortillasandwich@gmail.com

Feeds
Atom
May 05, 2005
Finals

This week and next will be very busy for me, I have final exams and deadlines for several publications I am working on. So posting will be sparse, as usual.

With all of the stress that is now my adult life, I sometimes wish I could be a kid again.

I like to think back when I was a kid, before I started school. I just remember things were simple back then.

During the week, mornings were spent eating cereal and watching The Price Is Right with my mom. Noon came around and Mom would make us lunch: sometimes soup and a sandwich, other times fideo and beans. After lunch I usually would find some sort of adventure or expedition outside, searching for the magical, mystical ladybug that lived in our backyard(which later suffered the wrath of my Buster Brown's after I got tired of it), going on underwater sea adventures in my one foot deep plastic swimming pool with sea shells and dolphins printed on it, or just riding around on my tricycle, dreaming of the day when I would grow up and be just like my grown up hero: Dolly Parton. (don't ask)

Why did I start this trip down memory lane? Saw a post on BoingBoing today, about idioms illustrated by fourth graders.

Some pretty funny drawings by these kids, reminds me of the my own days in grade school. Here are some of my favorites:

"Cruising for a bruising"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com




"Penny for your thoughts"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com




"Dropped the charges"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com




"Bright-eyed and bushy-tailed"
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


CJ at 5/05/2005

Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at: 7:06 PM  

Love your blog! Every post is interersting because I can relate to them in one way or another.(yes, after finding your blog I had to go back and read every entry!)
Anyway, I remember when I was a kid in my (godawful) bilingual ed class, we had to do a similar assignment, and we got stuck with "To err is human, to forgive divine." Being a kid who held grudges, I didn't finish the assignment.


By Blogger Xolo, at: 8:26 PM  

Suerte con los examenes!


By Blogger CJ, at: 1:26 PM  

thanks for the posts! I have one final done, and 2 more to go. I hope it gets easier from here on.


Post a Comment


Back to Tortilla Sandwich


3 comments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger