If your browser doesn't automatically go there within a few seconds, click here to go to Tortilla Sandwich.
Tortilla Sandwich
Tortilla Sandwich
What is it? A mixture of the Mexican and American heritage which once fused together creates the culture I grew up with. A culture where I watched every India Maria movie, my hero was El Chapulin Colorado, I had atole for breakfast, yet at the same time I never missed an episode of Saturday Night Live, my favorite meal was mom's meatloaf and I dreamed of being in the Ramones.


Contact Me
tortillasandwich@gmail.com

Feeds
Atom
July 07, 2005
London Calling


OK
Originally uploaded by Happy Dave.



This is a photo posted on Flickr by Happy Dave, letting his friends know he was fine after the horrible explosions in London today.


Update: I sent an email to Dave telling him I used his image on my blog and got this back from him :

"I meant it as a general message, not just from myself, but all the people who are in London trying to contact loved ones to reassure them."

Here is a comment he left on my blog

"Thanks for blogging me! As I've said in the update to the original pic, it was simply the fastest way I could think of to let my Flickr mates know I was okay. Still shaken up here. About to try and get home."

Update(July 8,2005): Seems like Dave is getting a lot of attention from his Flickr pic, here's a quote from Dave posted on Flickr:
Unbelievably, the Washington Post has just asked if they can use this image in their Sunday supplement. Wow. Just, wow.

New information about the explosions and bombs in London are being released every hour, and it seems that each time we get more news the fatality count rises. For more information on the happenings, check out Londonist. There is also a Flickr group called the London Bomb Blast Pool, has a lot of photos including the one I posted here.

All I can say is that I am sick to my stomach as I see this happening. I've been watching it unfold on the tv screen in front of me this morning and the only question that keeps running through my head is "why?" But we all know the answer.

Those responsible for this don't care about the people they hurt, they don't care about those people on what they thought was a fun and carefree time on a double decker bus in London, or the person on their way to work in the morning. They don't care if it's a bus in London, a train in Madrid, or at a car dealership in Jbala. They don't care about people, all they care about is their "message." A message which I don't care to repeat here, I refuse to be their beacon of intolerance. You can probably see that message on any of the links provided here and I'm sure it will be repeated time and time again as news unfolds on this story.

I wish I could come up with something meaningful or insightful to say on a day like this, but the words seem to fail me. The only thing I can say is quite obvious: violence should not be used as a form of communication.

Our thoughts will be with those in London today.


CJ at 7/07/2005

Comments:

By Anonymous Anonymous, at: 9:48 AM  

He's a friend of mine...seeing that message, although I had already heard from him, was like honey spread all over my heart.


By Blogger CJ, at: 10:10 AM  

I'm so glad to hear that, I hope more people in London are "ok" after a day like this.


By Anonymous Anonymous, at: 10:38 AM  

Thanks for blogging me! As I've said in the update to the original pic, it was simply the fastest way I could think of to let my Flickr mates know I was okay. Still shaken up here. About to try and get home.


By Blogger CJ, at: 10:41 AM  

Dave - so glad to hear all is well with you. Get home safe.


By Blogger CJ, at: 7:36 PM  

Cindy-I was reading an article online about how blogs and email were a way of many around the world checking in on loved ones in London. Ain't technology wonderful sometimes?


By Blogger Dave Goodman, at: 1:36 PM  

Well hey tortillasandwich - you were still the first to get there. I'm getting a copy of the Washington Post article sent to me, and have managed to find a CNN transcript of Wolf Blitzer talking about me - which is a little bit crazy, to say the least - Tortilla Sandwich, breaking news before CNN!


By Blogger CJ, at: 8:40 PM  

Dave-wow, just wow! I understand why it got so much attention though. As I went through that Flickr pool and went through tons of images, your photo grabbed my attention and pulled at heartstrings. It's amazing how much of an impact an image can make. Good work!


Post a Comment


Back to Tortilla Sandwich


7 comments

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Designed by Anja Stern (Brazil) at Blogskins
Powered by Blogger